Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tokyo, the Saga continues

When we last left our hero (me, I think?) I was still in Italy. Well, eventually the plane took off and I landed in Tokyo. I had to get from the airport to the hotel by myself. I was very tired so taking the 2 hour bus ride was a bit much. Eventually I made it to the hotel, which was very nice indeed, and met some of the other CIEE students, most of which seem pretty cool. I only missed the beginning part of orientation which was nice. Later that night we took a bus tour of Tokyo, and ate shabushabu, which is thinly sliced beef and vegetables. There is a boiler full of water in the middle of every table, and you cook the food yourself. It was good, but sometimes a bit hard to do with chopsticks and the boiling water. After that we went to Roppongi, which is a district in Tokyo. We went to the top of the Roppongi Hills Tower, about 50 floors and got a great view of the city at night. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, because I thought we were just going to be in the bus, and bus pictures never turn out well.
The next day we had some more orientation and I went to Shinjuku (Pictures here*) with my friend Leah. She has been to Tokyo before and can read and speak Japanese very well, so she was a good guide and we didn't get lost. We ate a curry restaurant which was quite good. I am still getting used to eating large quantities of rice, for some reason I can pile in a whole steak but a bowl of rice gives me trouble. Later that day we all met our host families which will be the topic of my next entry.

*I am going to use Facebook to host my pictures, if any non-Facebook account have any problems viewing the pictures, comment and let me know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike,
Your mom just emailed my your article form the paper. Peter did his year abroad in Australia and the thing he missed the most was Mexican food, too. He also missed Mexican people. There were almost all nationalities in Australia, but no Mexicans. Love Aunt Pat