Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cross Country: Day One

I've never driven across the great ol' USA before. Not East-West anyway, and I guess technically I haven't across the whole US, just west from Chicago, but anyway, I feel like I went through a rite of passage. I've seen the amber waves of grain and purple mountain majesties, and such, so I feel a bit more American, or something.
The first day of the trip was the smoothest, not that any of the trip was rough, but this day was the easiest. We stayed on I - 80 pretty much the whole day. Since 80 runs all the way to San Fransisco, we rode it all the way to Colorado on the following day. On day one we made it from Chicago to Grand Island Nebraska. The highlight of the day was by far the Iowa 80 truck stop, the largest truck stop in the world. Yes. The World. This place was enormous. The picture from my previous post was from there. There were two trucks in the building, along with 4 restaurants or so, and a bevy of other things (see pictures). After that stop we rode through the rolling hills of Iowa, which were pleasant to look at, and easy to navigate and on to Nebraska. Nebraska welcomed us by offering the city of Omaha, which I found to be a cool little city. Most of the buildings were older, at least in the area we wandered around in. Old buildings are cool in general, and these were great too. The restaurant we ate at was in one of these and I love seeing the old, oddly placed doors, and hearing the floor creak every time someone approached.
After leaving Omaha, we got about halfway through Nebraska. As a whole, Nebraska is pretty boring, flat, in contrast with Iowa's rolling hills. Also, Nebraska smelt of cow dung in certain spots, which was lovely.
Day Two is next, pictures are here:
Day One Pictures

No comments: