After a hearty rest in Grand Island, Nebraska, we grabbed some hotel breakfast and hit the road for Colorado. Nebraska as a whole is pretty unremarkable. There’s cows, flatness, and things of that nature. The first few hundred miles of Colorado was the same sort of thing, but we started to see mountains and that was good for morale. We stopped in Boulder, CO and had lunch with a friend of mine, John. John was in Japan at the same time as me, and I haven’t seen him since. We ate at an odd sandwich place called “Cheeba’s” where all the items on the menu were drug references. Good food, but I felt weird ordering an “Afgani Sandwich.” Boulder is a very cool town. Home to a university, U of Colorado I think, Boulder is a very relaxed, laid back college town. John told us about going biking in the mountains, and doing all the nature-related things that the area offered. Bikes and pedestrians actually have precedent and right of way over cars in many traffic situations, so they are numerous.
Following lunch, we packed up the car and headed out. On the way out of the Boulder area I took a picture of a storm chasing us. The storm eventually caught up, but first we were lucky enough to have a scenic drive through the Rockies. As a passenger, it was very pleasant, but if I were driving, I wouldn’t say the same. The down grades and curves over and around cliffs are not familiar for Illinois drivers, who constantly revel in the flat. As we approached our destination town of Grand Junction, CO, the storm finally caught up. This was not fun. Luckily the mountains eased up and the driving wasn’t bad, but the rain made the already miserable situation of finding some fast food to cram into our gullets even more irritating. We finally settled in Grand Junction, and got some sleep, ready to tackle our final day.
Day Two Pictures
No comments:
Post a Comment